Palmetto Care Connections is pleased to share the South Carolina Department of Education’s free WIFI hotspots available for students during the COVID-19 pandemic.
South Carolina Free WIFI Hot Spots
Free Internet for Students Impacted by School Closures
- AT&T: two months of free service to new access customers who order by April 30, 2020. It will then be five dollars a month or 10 dollars a month after the free two months, depending on speed. The company said it will expand eligibility for households participating in National School Lunch Program/Head start. Visit att.com/access for complete information and to apply.
- Charter/Spectrum: Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
- Chesnee Communications: call 864-461-2211
- Comporium: Comporium is offering 60 days of free service to new customers in homes where a student lives. Comporium is also waiving installation fees and their normal security deposit process. To find out more, please contact Comporium at 1-888-403-2667 or chat with a member of their customer service team at www.comporium.com. Customers living in Comporium’s Midlands service area should call 1-800-258-7978.
- FTC: FTC is offering 60 days of free internet service and free installation to homes within FTC’s service area that are the primary residence of a student in kindergarten through high school, technical school, college or in graduate school; and who have not been an internet customer with FTC for the past 90 days. Call 888-218-5050 and press ‘4’ when prompted, visit FTC.net and begin a chat session by clicking on the bottom right of the screen, text 843-382-8398, or email [email protected]
- Hagray: visit Hargray.com/freeinternet, or call 877-427-4729
- Home Telecom: visit HomeSC.com/Connect, or call 888-746-4482
- PRTC: Walterboro customers call 843-538-2020, or St. George customers call 843-931-1212
- PRTC (Piedmont): call 864-682-3131
- TruVista: call 800-768-1212
- WCTEL: call 864-446-2111, visit wctel.com/covid-19/
- Xfinity/Comcast: New Internet Essentials customers will receive two free months of Internet service if they apply by April 30, 2020. After promotion, regular rates apply. For all new and existing Internet Essentials customers, the speed of the program’s Internet service has increased to 25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream. Households with outstanding debt owed to Comcast may be eligible for Internet Essentials. They are waiving this qualification if you apply and are approved by 5/13/20. After 5/13/20, standard eligibility rules apply. Additional details available at https://www.internetessentials.com/.
Services to Students with Disabilities
The SCDE’s Office of Special Education Services has developed and is continually updating resources, materials, and responses to frequently asked questions about providing special education to students with disabilities during the COVID-19 pandemic and statewide closure of schools. The below website includes information for parents, educators, and schools.